Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Thru 30 - Day 23 - 1 & 2 Thess, Titus


A Personal Request from Your Pastor


I have a prayer request to ask of you that comes out of today's reading. In 1 Thess. 1:5 Paul is writing about the time when the gospel first came to the Thessalonians. In that verse he says, "...our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction."

I think so much preaching is nothing but preaching in word only. The Bible is opened and some verses are read and the preacher speaks for 30 minutes telling the meaning of the text, throwing in some stories, etc.

But there's no power in the preaching, there's no Holy Spirit in the preaching, and there's no conviction in the preaching (either on behalf of the preacher or of the hearers).

So, here's my prayer request...Will you beg the mercies of God in my life as I prepare and preach, that the preaching of the Word here at First Baptist would never be only in word, but would always be with power and with the Spirit and with conviction?

Pray that for me and pray that with me as I pray it for myself, and may God be glorified in his church.

No comments: